Thursday, March 30, 2006

WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG (say “whizzywig”) is computer jargon for “What you see is what you get.” Due to differing capabilities of computers and computer software, what you see on your computer monitor is not always what you will get when you print out your final product. A program is characterized by WYSIWYG if what you print out is exactly like what you see on your screen. In the older days, most programs couldn’t provide WYSIWYG, but nowadays many do.

In spiritual terms, we could say that WYSIWYG usually holds true in life – What we spend our time looking at, or focusing on, is what we get and what we become in life. Did you ever stop and take inventory of what you spend your time thinking about during the waking hours? If your thoughts are consumed by something, your life will become motivated, controlled, by that thing.

Seems like a good reason to master our thought lives, doesn’t it?

I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not fasten its grip on me (Psalm 101:3).

My eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me; he who walks in a blameless way is the one who will minister to me (Psalm 101:6).

Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law (Psalm 119:18).

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, and revive me in Your ways (Psalm 119:37).

For my eyes are toward You, O God, the Lord; in You I take refuge; do not leave me defenseless (Psalm 141:8).

Like a swallow, like a crane, so I twitter; I moan like a dove; my eyes look wistfully to the heights; O Lord, I am oppressed, be my security (Isaiah 38:14).

But at the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever; for His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation (Daniel 4:34).

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth (Col. 3:1-2).

We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor. 10:5).

Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:13).

What are you looking at?

Tags: , , ,

No comments: