Monday, March 13, 2006

Do I Really Want to Know God?

In our Sunday School class we've been talking about the possibilities of God's healing power working in our lives. In a broader sense, we're on a quest to expand our personal relationships with God so that His life and power can flow through us, like channels, filling us up and making us whole, then pouring through us to spark life-change in people we interact with.

This morning I read a chapter from A. W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God. He poses a question that I have asked the Lord for quite some time:
Why do some persons "find" God in a way that others do not? Why does God manifest His presence to some and let multitudes of others struggle along in the half-light of imperfect Christian experience?
Then he answers the question:

Of course, the will of God is the same for all. He has no favorites within His household. All He has ever done for any of His children He will do for all of His children. The difference lies not with God but with us.

I venture to suggest that the one vital quality which [those who experience His manifest presence possess is] spiritual receptivity. Something in them is open to heaven, something which urges them Godward. Without attempting anything like a profound analysis, I shall say simply that they have spiritual awareness and that they go on to cultivate it until it becomes the biggest thing in their lives. They differ from the average person in that when they feel the inward longing they do something about it. They acquire the lifelong habit of spiritual response. They are not disobedient to the heavenly vision. As David put it neatly, "When you said, 'Seek my face,' my heart said to you, 'Your face, Lord, I will seek'"(Psalm 27:8).
I do want to know the Lord. At this point in my life, I can truly say that I want to know Him more than I want to know anything else. Now I have a new question: "What am I doing about it?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading a book that Tracy gave me just a couple days ago called "Breaking Intimidation" by John Bevere. This book has opened my mind to many things in the Lord. One thing that I have come to understand is that the people that seem to know God deeper are the people that truely understand what it means to give their life away and expect nothing in return. Since I, a lover of music and someone who seeks to be a true worshipper, find myself singing all the time I have decided that my worship will be a sacrifice of praise all the time. During my worship times I try my hardest not to ask God for anything but instead I worship Him just because of who He is. Now I am not perfect but this is one area that I am trying to be selfless in. Worship is not about me feeling anything, even though the Lord chooses to show us His glory. Worship is just that, focusing on Jesus because He deserves all the glory and praise! We do not deserve anything in return!

I have found that when we truely decide to not care about ourselves, there is this blinder that is taken away and it allows us to go so much deeper in the Lord!

I am still on this journey...I havent made it yet, trust me! But why dont you join me in getting to know the Lord in a new way! The journey is the best part!

Anonymous said...

Pretty deep. You should check out www.juddandjasonspeakout.com you would enjot iy.

Tracy said...

Dear Amy --

Thanks for sharing this secret that you've learned. When you make your praise a sacrifice, like you describe, it's one way of dying to yourself. And when we die to self, then Jesus raises us to new life (His)! That is why you get so much back out of worship -- because our God is the great rewarder of all who diligently seek Him! I can't wait to see all the beautiful ways your music is going to affect many for Him in the future. God bless you, Aim!