Thursday, March 16, 2006

So What Am I Doing About It?

Now let me answer the question: What am I doing about wanting to know God more?

The one thing I need is hunger – thirst – desire – for God. Jesus said:
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied" (Matthew 5:6.
Righteousness is right standing, or being in right position, with God. As we know from God’s Word, this was already accomplished for me through Jesus’ vicarious atonement on the cross. I can’t get it by myself. By freely receiving forgiveness from God, because my debt of sin was paid in full by the awful price of Jesus’ death, I am now positionally right with God. But that’s only the beginning of an incredible journey in a fulfilling relationship that God has always wanted to have with me.

Once I’m in right standing – rightly related – to God, as I get to know Him more personally, there will be hungering and thirsting on my part to enter into deeper levels of relationship with Him.

God has commanded me to seek Him, because He knows that when I find Him I will discover the answers to all my questions and real fulfillment of all the deepest longings of my heart.

For thus says the Lord to the house of Israel, "Seek Me that you may live" (Amos 5:4).
And Jesus said,
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10).
God promises that I will find Him:
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13).
But notice that it requires diligence (seeking with all my heart) and faith:
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6).



So how do I get diligence? How do I get faith? These are two of the mountaintops I need to scale on this journey. Next time we’ll talk about getting diligence.

No comments: